Tuesday, January 04, 2011

One Little Word 2011



During the days following Christmas I started thinking about what I wanted my word to be for 2011. I didn't have to think long. In fact, it made perfect sense. All ACTION must be followed by some kind of FOCUS. I got the ball rolling with 2010's ACTION. Now I need to keep that momentum going in 2011 and really get FOCUSED on what's most important to me...to all of us.

Obviously I'm going to really FOCUS on my goals list for 2011. My goals list is mostly tangible things, things I can put my hands on, difinitive lines in the proverbial sand, as it were. The following list is (with the exception of #5) made of those things that you can't really put your finger on...but they mean more than anything else to me.

1. Spriritual Walk. I really want to dig in this year. It's time to get back into the trenches. This is war.

2. Family Day. Every week I want us spending quality time together, playing games, going out and enjoying activities together. I want more memories of time spent together, especially now that the kids are getting older and are being pulled away from us by friends and other activities. I'd also like to extend this to family gatherings. I'm thinking every couple months it'd be nice to get the extended family together for a meal and some laughs. It'd be nice to get everyone together throughout the year, instead of waiting for the holidays when we are so consumed with all the happenings of the holidays that we really don't have any time left for just being with each other.

3. Date Nights. Or mornings :) We need to be more intentional about the time Chad and I spend together. We were doing fairly well for a while, having coffee together on Friday mornings. But eventually work, life, etc. started to creep in and we've stopped having those moments together. Time to get out the day-planner!

4. Family Health. I want to continue working towards a healthy, happy family. I got off to a good start with more home-cooked meals last year. I've learned how important it is to have a healthy diet and I want to expand on that. Now, more than ever, I want us to be intentional about eating meals together...at the table! Not having enough space in RV made this difficult. But once we're in a house, with a table, family dinners will make a comeback.

5. Memory-keeping. All the little bits and pieces of our lives need to be organized and tucked away. Time for all those bags and shoeboxes to hit the road. 2011 will be the year of the memory-keeper. The scrapbooks will be full of all the wonderful memories we've made over the years. I plan to get the kids and Chad in on the action as well by having them tell their stories and share their memories. And at the same time, we'll be making new memories!

6. Everyday Moments. Our days are swept by in a swirl of activity: do this, go there, get that, make this...where did the day go? I want to be intentional about how I spend my days. There are no refunds. So I want every day to count and I want to count every day as treasured. Slowing down, ditching the cell phone, walking instead of driving, breathing instead of rushing, savoring the day...this is what I want for 2011 and the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment