Friday, July 25, 2008

Life as a Single Parent

After ProLife Festival we decided that the kids and I would stay in MI while Chad went back to work in FL. We figured I'd stay for the month of July and then wait to see what would happen next.

So all this month I've been a single parent!

The first week we were here I made a lot of trips to see people. It was nice being able to catch up with everyone. While visiting my Mom, she asked if I could help her out a couple days. Thinking it'd be just that, I agreed.

I've been working every day since! (Except Sundays)

Which has been both a blessing and a bane. A blessing because we've not had any disposable income that I could use while here, and working for my Mom provides just what the kids and I need. Working for Mom also provides us a vehicle to use, an added bonus even if it's a gas hog. It's been a considerable bane because I'm spending all my time working and I've barely seen my kids!

For the most part J hangs out with me at Mom's while I work, but I'm working and he's playing games or watching TV, or out fishing when K is with him. Most of the time K is at her cousin's so I don't see much of her. I don't like that I'm losing touch with my kids. I'm glad this is only for a short season!

I've been so wrapped up with work I've let the RV become a mess - even though we've only stayed in the RV 1/3 of the time! I've not had the opportunity to get out and see anyone really, nor have the kids and I been able to get out and do much. We did go to a movie last week. And we've been to dinner at Cleve's twice. But that's it. I've also not been able to make any dreads to sell, nor work on school. I've been meaning to scan some photos and update some of my photo files but I still haven't gotten to it. It's even taken me this long to update my blog!

Last weekend the kids stayed over at Grandma Benkert's and I flew to FL to spend some time with Chad. It was nice to spend time together (even though the weather was nasty sticky-hot) and talk about things. We spent our time playing tourist in St. Augustine, which is something I've wanted to do for years and years now. It was a great treat. But I missed the kids even more!

I don't know how single parents do this. I'm sad about all the time I've lost this month with the kids - I can't imagine what life would be like if I had to do this full time. And I'm actually lucky because I have family and friends who've been more than generous in helping us out. If I were doing this on my own it'd be a nightmare.

Thankfully, this season is coming to an end soon. The kids and I will be flying back to FL in another week or so. And where we go from there? We'll just wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment