Sunday, February 08, 2009

The life and times - Jan 09 edition

First and foremost: my computer has a virus or two...or three... and they can't be cleaned until the next update, which I cannot get until I renew my internet security. So, until then, I have to use Chad's computer. Which means very little internet use for me and no pictures in any of my journals, blogs, websites, or online photo books. :( This is also why I've decided to make monthly posts to hit the highlights. If you can't read the whole thing, skimming works- I've highlighted some bits for you. And if you don't have time for that - well, then, you need to slow down a little! Go smell some roses...or coffee...or whatever it takes to relax!

On to the happenings:

I've taken the Project 365 Challenge! Which means, ultimately, that I will have even more pictures to deal with at the end of this year. But I'm really enjoying it! The process is sure to challenge me as well as improve my current level of artistry. So far this year I've only missed 2 days, but I did remember the next morning so I was able to take a photo to represent the previous day. I haven't been able to use my Rebel for this project yet because my memory card is full. I don't erase them because it causes damage to the card. I just file them with the CDs for each year and purchase a new card. But, I have yet to purchase said card so I've had to use the little Sony CyberShot we bought for K a couple years ago. It's a pretty good camera for outdoor shots, but take it indoors and you don't get anything worth exclaiming over. So I'm hoping to get my new memory card soon so I can use my big camera and really start challenging my skills!

Baseball season has begun here - a whole 4 weeks earlier than last year! Tryouts were the last Monday of the month. J has a new coach this year as he is now in the majors. His team this season is the Braves. He has a set practice schedule 3 days a week until the official opening of the season at the end of February. His first game will be Feb. 28th! Hopefully one of the 4 coaches will keep the stat book so I can sit back and enjoy the games!

Swim Team has been put on hold due to moving back to the RV and the lack of liquid assets. K doesn't seem to be too put out over it. She's been having sleepovers with her friend just about every other week since we got back from MI over Christmas. But now that we're in the RV they won't be having them quite as often since we can't have the kids here. The RV barely fits 4 so 6 would be insane! Maybe we could get permission for a tent?? She's also been asking me about make-up lately. One particular day she even begged me to put some eyeliner on her! They grow up so fast... I gave her a short lesson and explained that with her amazing lashes she didn't need much liner. I put just a touch on the lower lashline and she was happy.

Sheraton Vista Resorts has gone the way of most vacation ownership companies - downhill. Chad has left Sheraton and gone to Hilton. After two weeks of training he hit the floor running. He's had two sales so far, which is great. I just wish the payout was a bit quicker. They have a really weird pay schedule, but their daily bonus schedule is pretty nifty. Chad seems to like the job quite well and is excited to finally be seeing tours with some potential.

I've been working really hard on getting the embroidery done on my Tudor forepart (fancy skirt that shows through the slit in the top skirt). Finally, after a little over 120 hours of embroidery, the skirt is finished. With the embroidery anyway. I'm still debating the addition of "oes" (the original sequin), which would require at least another 120 hours of meticulous hand sewing. And then it will need to be lined and a waistband attached, as well as hooks and eyes to attach it to the petticoat. Whew! I'm glad it's done! On to another project...

The Intrepid hit it's infamous "80,000 mile curse" a few miles early. Luckily for us! I know you're thinking - "lucky?" but yes, we were lucky. Half the parts were covered by warranty! But only until 80,000 miles! Hah! So, $2000 later and only 200+ miles left of the warranty, we're watching the car like a hawk and taking it back to the shop for anything! Next on the fix-it list is the truck. I don't think we'll be quite so lucky with that one.

As a last little tidbit, I tried a new recipe that seemed dubious to me but was a huge hit - even with J! I couldn't believe he ate it! It was a homemade "salsa" but turned out more like a salad, but you eat it with tortilla "scoops". It's made with black beans, cucumber, red onion, yellow pepper, jalapeno pepper, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and cumin. It was sooooo good! J has asked when I'm going to make it again! That's when you know you've got a keeper :D

And that's January, not quite in a nutshell, but, there it is. :P

1 comment:

  1. Dana,

    I'm just now getting caught up on some of my blogging and blog reading. I'm on "Rob's" computer, and all my pictures are on the other one. I've written four posts (I'm obviously back-dating!) and then I'll upload pictures later.

    Anyway, you guys have been busy! I didn't know that Chad switched companies. I will pray for God's provision for you all during these rough times. Chad is really great at what he does, so hopefully he will find success at Hilton. And God will show you His purpose in all these changes as well.

    Your salsa recipe sounds delish. It's definitely on my to-try list. I've just gotten into making fresh salsa recently, but I haven't strayed too far from tomatoes and jalepenos and onions...yet!

    We miss you guys like crazy. February was a crazy month, but in a good way. We went to six different museums...three of them twice! But they were free, so I wasn't about to miss them.

    Okay, I've just dominated your comment section...sorry!

    Keep in touch, dear friend.

    Hugs and God's blessings,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete